How to Choose a Realtor
Wondering HOW to choose a Realtor? Referrals don’t always work out well. These “How to Choose a Realtor” tips apply whether you’re buying a home or thinking of selling your home. You want your home buying or selling experience to be as stress-free, well-informed, and enjoyable as possible. That means taking your time to Choose a Realtor that’s RIGHT for YOU!
Tip #1: Figure out what you want, where you want it, and your wants and needs
A Real Estate Agent is not a mind-reader or a counselor. If you’re making your home buying or selling decision with someone else, be sure you’re both on the same page before talking with a Real Estate Agent. This step will ensure a more enjoyable, less stressful experience and in all honesty, save you time and effort.
Know the features you need in a house and those that you are willing to compromise on so that your agent shows you only what fits your criteria.
Tip #2: Decide what Realtor qualities are important to you and rank them
Although liking your Realtor is important, it’s risky to go with “but she/he is so friendly and helpful.” All Realtors should be friendly, trustworthy, helpful, and informed about their market.
Here are some other qualities you might want to consider:
- They are easy to find online and you can search for homes and view the homes they represent. This indicates proactive and creative marketing, particularly important to you as a Seller
- Have their own website with both property search capability and lots of information about the area (schools, sports, activities, etc.)
- Their articles indicate they are knowledgeable, trusted, well-respected and successful
- You can find testimonials or client comments about them either on their site or agent ranking sites like Active Rain
- They set expectations from the very first interaction and are respectful of your time and needs
Tip #3: Do your due diligence and research on at least 2-3 Realtors first
The easiest way to learn about a person these days is through Google and Facebook as well as other preferred social media tools.. First, make sure you are searching for the right person by adding “real estate agent” (i.e. Jane Smith Real estate agent”) or “Realtor” to your search. Check their pages for references to Real Estate. You don’t want to be looking at the wrong person! 🙂
Realtors whose names you cannot find on Facebook and Google are probably not using those tools to promote their listings or market themselves. That’s almost a must in our book. You have to decide if that’s the type of Realtor you want.
Tip #4: Meet with each prospective Realtor in person, if possible
Meeting in person gives you a much better idea of the Realtor and whether you can work together. After you have met with 2-3 Realtors, you’ll be able to make your decision on who to work with.
Tip #5: Be open and communicate clearly
Once selected, your Realtor wants you to be happy with your experience. If there is something bothering you about the process or you have questions, find out what the best way to communicate is (sometimes this is phone calls or emails).
Be open, honest, and specific about your wants and needs and you’ll have an amazing real estate experience!
We’re happy to buy you a cup of coffee and discuss your Phoenix area Real Estate questions with no obligation.
- LaTisha Peoria, AZEverything went according to how it was supposed to go! Was great! Overall EXCELLENT!! Easiest home purchase to date for us. Tom was always available whenever we had questions, if he didn't know, he would find out the answer and then get back to us as quickly as possible.
- Bonelli'sHal Mayer made sure everything went smoothly and every detail was handled professionally with the purchase of our home. Hal was in constant communication and ready to show listings that I wanted to see. I liked the way he presented each viewing with the needed information on the property. Hal is very organized and made […]
- Jovan Bonelli Mesa AZHal was awesome.. Great job in finding properties and exceeding expectations.